Re: [Json] Encoding detection (Was: Re: JSON: remove gap between Ecma-404 and IETF draft)

On 26 Nov 2013, at 23:00, Nico Williams <nico@cryptonector.com> wrote:

> But you see, if you have any non-Unicode locales, how would such a shell
> encode its JSON values?

In UTF-8?

> Obviously: not in any UTF (except, maybe,
> UTF-7).

I don’t see the obviousness here.
The locale is irrelevant for the encoding of JSON values.

> If you wanted to forbid non-Unicode, non-UTF encodings, then you'd be
> preventing such a shell,

This is a very strange argument.

If your application needs a JSON-like interchange format that is encoded in Windows-1252, just go ahead and create that, it’s not hard.  Just don’t call it JSON.  (I think KSON is still free except as a radio station call sign.:-)  Nothing here is prevented by keeping JSON useful as an interchange format.

Grüße, Carsten