Re: X-HTTP-Method-Override request header

On Nov 6, 2013, at 6:01 AM, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@annevk.nl> wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 6, 2013 at 10:57 AM, Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org> wrote:
>> On 06/11/2013 11:15 , Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>>> If you use <form>, how do you include this X-HTTP-Method-Override
>>> header? <form> does not allow for that.
>>
>> Most if not all of those frameworks also allow override through a form
>> parameter. One popular choice is _method; so <input type=hidden name=_method
>> value=PUT>.
>
> That still does not explain the need for the header.

One reason for the HTTP header (from a server perspective) is to be able to dispatch effectively without having to first read the body. Which reminds me of a notorious historical item [1]

Some clients cannot (or at least, historically, could not) modify HTTP headers, thus the need for the form parameter.

Regards,

John

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/2000/NOTE-SOAP-20000508/#_Toc478383528