RE: Atom vs Polyglot

I don't have any problem with ATOM today. However, I think the community is facing a transition from XML to JSON as a preferred method of language-independent exchange of structured data. If ATOM were to be designed today -- carrying metadata and control structures (about content) and also carrying marked up rich text, I'd look for a protocol that used JSON for the structured data and HTML for the marked up or active next.

Probably there needs to also be  a normative reference for "HTML suitable for embedding" (such as in email or included content) which also could be used for something ATOM-like using the technologies du jour.