Re: httpRange-14 Change Proposal

On 3/29/12 7:48 AM, Nathan wrote:
> Also note that within HTTPbis a "representation" differs from a
> "resource representation". Representation (again ambiguous
> terminology), is used because HTTP has content negotiation, such that
> at a specific point in time an HTTPbis-Resource may be associated with
> a set of representations in different formats which are equivalent.
> Hence why it speaks of "representations" and "A resource
> representation" rather than "the representation" or "the content".
> This is made clearer when you consider representations which are
> included in response to a POST, in a POST request, in a 404 response
> and so forth, as they clearly are not "representations" of things like
> people, rather they are "representations" of the content/information
> being transferred.

Yes, and we have to remember that Information == Data in some Context. A
protocol is a context provider for adhering participating parties.

We also have to remember that Linked Data unveils a Data Space dimension
(or aspect) of the Web. Whereas, prior to Linked Data it was all about
the Information Space dimension.

Luckily, the HTTP protocol allows agents (client or server) to exploit
either dimension, unobtrusively. Information Space dwellers (clients or
server agents) remain happy until realm fidelity limitations trigger a
quest for additional fidelity.

On the Data Space dimension side, dwellers already exist happily since
they already understand the the additional fidelity delivered by
hyperlink based name and address disambiguation; especially when
combined with specific mime type constrained content structure. Thus,
the evolution goes on.

Eventually, even these Data Space dwellers will seek additional fidelity
e.g., inference rules and reasoning which triggers the pursuit and
discovery of a Knowledge Space dimension etc..

The Web is a global jigsaw puzzle. The game has a fuzzy start date, but
there is no end date. The pieces (resources) come in different sizes
i.e., big coarse-grained pieces (information space) and smaller
fined-grained pieces (data space). Said pieces also exist in different
boxes i.e., the dimensions or aspects.

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen