Re: HTTP Range 14

On 3/4/12 1:58 PM, Graham Klyne wrote:
> Hi Chris,
>
> Your infra: looks a bit like tdb: [1].  I believe Larry's currently
> aiming for "experimental" publication so folks can reasonably try it
> out on the open web.

Graham,

The problem with new URI schemes is that you can't get browsers to
support them. Browsers are the main source of the current problems. For
instance, Linked Data (where http: scheme URIs serve as names for any
description/descriptor document subject) enables browsers effectively
play the role of "drill-down" and "pivot" oriented clients via the
follow-your-nose pattern courtesy of de-referencable http: scheme URIs.

As stated in my earlier response, we are practically moving from "open
database connectivity" to "open data connectivity" where the likes of ms
query, access crystal reports etc.. work transparently against Linked
Data graphs exposed by http uris. In addition, you have the benefit of
every browser being the equivalent of: ms access, ms query, crystal
reports etc..

The importance of this transparent integration of the Web into the broad
realm of "open data access" all depends on http: scheme uris as outlined
in the fundamental architecture of the Web.

If people don't understand this, then we can double up effort making
narratives clearer. What we shouldn't do is meddle with architecture and
infrastructure that "just works".

To conclude, new uri schemes don't fix the problem at hand. Conventional
web browsers are the fundamental problem.

Kingsley

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen