Re: HTTP Range 14

On 3/4/12 12:37 PM, Christopher Gutteridge wrote:

> I've started sketching some ideas I've been thinking about for some
> time into a blog post;
> http://blogs.ecs.soton.ac.uk/webteam/2012/03/01/firing-range-14/
>
> I can turn it into something more formal if there's any positive
> feedback.

Chris,

There's nothing wrong with using a http: scheme URI to name real-world
things. Yes, it might be unintuitive, but that doesn't make it wrong.
There is a powerful utility inherent in this approach when you focus
firmly on the utterly vital issue of "Open Data Connectivity". To
understand my fundamental point, do take a look at what "Open Database
Connectivity" (ODBC) is about.

Linked Data moves use from "Open Database Connectivity" (which has many
platform specific shortcomings) to "Open Data Connectivity" in a manner
that leverages the ubiquity of the Web.

Use of http: scheme URIs as names for description subjects is a
cost-effective option for the goal at hand (open data access, at Web scale).

We could also aid comprehension of the HttpRange-14 narrative by just
placing URIs and URLs on the appropriate items in TimBL's original WWW
diagram [1], then adding a reference to relevant material. I'll even do
this myself if I can get my hands on the source of the original image.

Links:

1. http://www.w3.org/2001/12/semweb-fin/timbl-1989-image.gif

--

Regards,