Re: Understanding URI Hosting Practice as Support for Documentation Discovery: 'meaning of meaning'

On 3/2/12 11:20 AM, Jonathan A Rees wrote:
> Roy Fielding, for example, would
> say (I think) that the URI "means" or "identifies" some resource, not
> any particular HTTP behavior.

Hmm..

You mean he mean't a URL identifies some resource location since a
generic URI can identify anything, which may include a resource location.

"Resource" (in the context of the Web mediu) is a network addressable
and accessible file. We really have to drop this overloaded use of
"Resource" since it only feeds the flames of confusion.

My physical embodiment might be construed as a "Resource" but that is
not of the Web medium. So we should clearly understand by now that
statements such as "everything on the Web is a Resource" means just
that: all Web addressable artifacts are Resources. None of that means
that "I" the subject of a descriptor (in RDF or any other format) is a
"Web Resource". At the same time, when constructing said "Web Resource"
can Identify me (the Subject) using via generic HTTP URI -- be it hash
or slash (with 303 rule in effect) based.

Why are we still struggling with the following:

1. http://twitpic.com/5m2pp9 -- where s/URI/URL would make matters much
clearer re. Roy's comments.

2. http://twitpic.com/5m2lu5 -- about generic URIs that identify anything .

--