Re: Registration of acct: as a URI scheme has been requested

On Fri, Jun 22, 2012 at 10:35 PM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>wrote:

> On 6/22/12 1:02 PM, Harry Halpin wrote:
>
>> It seems like it would be better to use just mailto: (i.e., the original
>> WebFinger design was around *email addresses*, not accounts per se) or a
>> http: URI rather than mint a whole new scheme.
>>
> Here's why mailto: won't work. Most user agents will invoke an email
> client app. Remember, this is about using the URI as a name rather than
> data locator or access mechanism. That's the reason my acct: is required.
> Basically, follow-your-nose linked data traversal (with alternative URI
> resolvers hooked in via host-metadata pattern usage) without unintended
> consequences i.e., de-reference the next chunk of data etc...

Just to be clear, WebFinger is optimizing around Linked Data
"follow-your-nose" pattern? Somehow I find this unlikely at this stage in
the game, but you never know.

I thought it was just using the email address to track down a domain to
some info about capabilities supported by the domain, and thus was never
actually dereferencing the email address in a web-browser.