Re: Registration of acct: as a URI scheme has been requested

On 6/25/12 1:35 AM, Ivan Herman wrote:
> (not specifically to you, Nathan, just one of your remark below triggered this...)
>
> I just chime in on a non-technical issue. In my understanding the whole starting point of the acct: URI is the claim that most users, technical or non-technical, know and remember their email address. Ie, using something like acct:ivan@w3.org is cognitively easy for them. Easier than, let us say, a .well-known URI construction. And this claim is based that, these days, almost everybody uses emails in some way, let that be a technical geek, or a lambda user.
>
> However... is this something that we can rely on in the future? Can we really take that as granted forever? I am not sure. In my experience there are more and more people around me (granted, youngsters, my child's age or even much younger) whose primary communication means is Facebook messaging, or personal messages via Twitter. They may have an email address, but they do not really use it; I bet in a few years some of these kids will grow up without a need for an email address, ie, without having one. And, for those young adults, acct:a@b.c will look just as cryptic as .well-known, or a longish foaf URI, or anything similar.
>
> Just a thought...
>
> Ivan
In addition to the above,  the literals "ivan@w3.org" are what folks
gravitate to as their online identifier. Systems turn these literals
into URIs using a variety of schemes. Thus, the intuition of said
literals will be around for a very long time, irrespective of what
underlying URI scheme is used for processing.

On the mobile platform front, the Web browser isn't the dominant user
agent for the Web, net effect a variety of URI schemes are already in
effect on an app by app basis when it comes to naming and denotation
even though HTTP is still predominantly used for actual data access.

Nathan:

In the ODBC and JDBC realms, you have Data Source Names (DSN) and
Connection Strings. In the case of ODBC a DSN is an X.500 name while
JDBC uses a URL. In both cases, you have naming (denotation) distinct
from data access. This older pattern is basically what you get when URNs
are distinct from URLs with regards to de-referencable names. Browsers
are the reason why we have an anomalous and confusing situation today.

Kingsley

>>> 2. http://bit.ly/MEqals -- full profile
>>> 3. http://bit.ly/KFeYG3 -- looking at inverse functional property effects on co-references
>>> 4. http://bit.ly/KTWCCx -- ditto but via explicit co-reference via owl:sameAs relationships.
>> I commend your use of URIs, however I still can't see what clear utility the proposed 'acct:' scheme brings to the broad internet community, beyond that which is already available.
>>
>> What requirement is fulfilled by the 'acct:' scheme that isn't already handled by other schemes?
>> What does it enable, or what is gained by it's use?
>> What other techs might it make possible?
>>
>> If there is a real gap for a scheme which can be used to mint identifiers for the class of things which are user accounts, then shouldn't that need be looked at closely and it be determined whether the scheme specification is open and robust enough to stand the test of time?
>>
>> acctURI      =  "acct:" userpart "@" domainpart
>>
>> This seems very limited, if acct: is to be rolled out at internet level, then why not open it up more, certainly acct:twitter.com/webr3 may be useful, are fragments useful, how many of these questions have been looked at, and how deeply has this new scheme been considered beyond the very specific use case it's been designed to work for/around?
>>
>> I'm not trying to knock or stall anything here, just to nudge towards the notion that it may be either (a) unneeded, or (b) needed and possible to improve/generalise to add even more utility.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Nathan
>>

> ----
> Home: http://www.w3.org/People/Ivan/