Re: Registration of acct: as a URI scheme has been requested

On 6/22/12 1:02 PM, Harry Halpin wrote:
> It seems like it would be better to use just mailto: (i.e., the
> original WebFinger design was around *email addresses*, not accounts
> per se) or a http: URI rather than mint a whole new scheme.
Here's why mailto: won't work. Most user agents will invoke an email
client app. Remember, this is about using the URI as a name rather than
data locator or access mechanism. That's the reason my acct: is
required. Basically, follow-your-nose linked data traversal (with
alternative URI resolvers hooked in via host-metadata pattern usage)
without unintended consequences i.e., de-reference the next chunk of
data etc...

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen