Re: Publication of the final WG Note of 'Usage Patterns For Client-Side URI parameters'

On 2/23/2012 7:50 AM, Melvin Carvalho wrote:
> Is the fragment identifier still pivotal in the W3C mission of leading the
> Web to its full potential, or, as it was phrased in "Weaving the Web",
> connecting "everything to everything"?

Not speaking formally on behalf of the TAG, so just offering my personal
opinion:

I think there's no question that, at the very least, fragment identifiers
remain the first class way of referring to anchors within documents.
Furthermore, the use of URIs with fragments to identify non-document
resources for the Semantic Web is well accepted.

As we discuss in [1], the use of fragment identifiers to identify states in
Web applications served as HTML raises more difficult questions, an in
particular appears to be in conflict with the pertinent normative
specifications.

I'm also pleased to note that, according to [2], Twitter is abandoning !#
in favor of pushState.

Noah

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/IdentifyingApplicationState
[2] https://plus.google.com/115459243651688775505/posts/imnsaUfjDUb