Re: Comments on draft "baseline" httprange-14 replacement

On 2/18/12 9:04 AM, Jonathan A Rees wrote:
>> A descriptor resource is a kind of information resource.
>> >
>> >  We are looking for words that clearly explain the following indirection:
>> >
>> >  SubjectName->SubjectDescriptorResourceAddress->SubjectDescriptionRepresentation
>> >  (an eav/spo graph pictorial) .
> With some methods, such as MGET,

MGET is how URIQA retrieves the description of a Subject identified by a
URI. Basically, it delivers the missing DESCRIBE operation which is a
natural fit for Linked Data. That said, a SPARQL DESCRIBE delivers the
same thing to HTTP GET via Query parameters.

You still end up dealing with indirection even if its:

SubjectName (URI) ->SubjectDescriptorResourceAddress (SPARQL DESCRIBE URL) ->SubjectDescriptionRepresentation

or
MGET:

SubjectName (URI) -->SubjectDescriptionRepresentation (with a bookmarking problem since you don't have a SubjectDescriptorResourceAddress).

BTW -- I know of no URIQA implementation bar ours re. Linked Data. We've long assumed MGET isn't used by anyone.

> 209, LSID, and conneg, there is no
> "SubjectDescriptorResourceAddress", only a representation, so making
> indirection through a URI-named resource a necessary part of the
> problem statement would be preemptive.

You make a proxy/wrapper HTTP resolver for that, and we've implemented
that re. Linked Data. The end result is the same as I've outlined re. HTTP.

>   The overall relation
> "representation Z is a NUDC for URI U" needs to be the operative
> primitive here (regardless of what you call it), or else these
> solutions get locked out.

They don't if HTTP is the data access mechanism in question. You make a
bridge and once made you still end up with:

SubjectName (URI) ->SubjectDescriptorResourceAddress (URL - which can be a proxy/wrapper) ->SubjectDescriptionRepresentation

--

Regards,

Kingsley Idehen
Founder&  CEO