Re: Comments on draft "baseline" httprange-14 replacement

On Fri, Feb 17, 2012 at 10:42 AM, David Booth <david@dbooth.org> wrote:
> Jonathan,
>
> Review of: http://www.w3.org/2001/tag/doc/uddp/
>
> I started a detailed review of this document yesterday, but
> today I see that it has substantially changed.

The differences between the 2nd and the 12th recast it as declarative
instead of a protocol, which I found to be a major and liberating
improvement. The version of the 12th is also semantically much closer
to the letter of the httpRange-14 resolution than the version of the
2nd was. From the 12th to today the changes are quite modest.

> Since you
> previously stated that your call for change proposals would
> be opened TODAY, I think it is quite unreasonable to give this
> document so little review time before it is frozen.

The document has been out in various forms since 19 December and has
received little review (immense thanks, you who know who you are);
there's been so little interest that I had no reason to think any more
was forthcoming. And the call for change proposals marks the
continuation of review, not an end, so I would not use the words
"frozen" or "deadline". This is simply a milestone. There is no reason
your suggestions can't be addressed at a later date, when you make
them.

Also I am being urged to move things along, and the process and
documents are already overworked.

That said, I'll give you a few days to review it. If you come up with
ways, within reason, to make the treatment of "meaning" more
hands-off, to bring the baseline closer to the status quo, or to
repair errors in the terminology, that will be a good thing and I'll
see what I can do to update the document.

Jonathan