Re: ACTION-687: Please help me remember what this one is about

From: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 12:51:06 -0400
To: Thomas Roessler <tlr@w3.org>
CC: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>, Ian Jacobs <ij@W3.org>

On 4/25/2012 12:29 PM, Thomas Roessler wrote:
> Objection.
>
> Referencing a document that is explicitly not intended to be referenced strikes me as a relatively obvious spec bug that, in this specific case, escaped review.  That's unfortunate.  I don't think I've heard anybody suggest that I-Ds are useful normative references for anything.
>
> Hence, I don't understand how this gets even close to the level of a process question that needs to be put in front of the AB.

I thought that somewhere in the W3C process was a clause that, put
informally, boils down to: "The referent of any normative reference from a
W3C draft or recommendation must be at a level of stability that is, at
worst, one level flakier than the referring document."

I can't offhand find where such a rule is set down, but Larry's comment
seems to be about the general effectiveness of W3C guidelines in this area.
It's also a matter of judgement, and maybe something on which we need a
ruling, as to when if ever references to IETF IDs from W3C working drafts
or Recs would/should be acceptable per such rules.

Noah