Re: A proposal involving my original reason for commenting on httpRange-14

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 2:26 PM, Ed Summers <ehs@pobox.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 7:25 AM, Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>> 303 hasn't stopped facebook adding 850 million+ Linked Data profiles to the
>> Web. We still talk about Linked Data as though its just starting when in
>> fact its already reached critical mass etc.. DBpedia, LOD Cloud etc..
>> combined with Facebook and Schema.org == way beyond critical mass :-)
>
> Perhaps this is where you were going, but I think it's important to
> point out that Facebook and publishers of Open Graph data ignore
> httpRange-14 entirely, which is probably why it is working. For
> example:
>
>    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/
>
> identifies a movie:
>
>    https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/og/object?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imdb.com%2Ftitle%2Ftt1182345%2F
>
> Thanks for your email Harry!

Precisely. Indeed, while no-one *forces* you to use 303 redirection,
you currently have to use it to count as Linked Data. Which leaves
Linked Data to the true believers like Kingsley, while lots of people
probably just want to mint RDF data using APIs etc.

For the time being, http://graph.facebook.com/117527568273199
illustrates my point (note that its also in JSON), and I want that to
*count* as Linked Data. Right now that URI identifies *both* metadata
about the movie and the movie itself. If/when Facebook wishes to mint
a separate URI for the "metadata about the movie" from 'the movie
itself" they should be able to, and then use w3c:describes OR 303
redirection to connect the two URIs.

As for the fact that might break OWL reasoners and semantics, I don't
really care -  as one of the people who has done owl:sameAs reasoning
on a large scale, you basically have to re-code everything in special
purpose code to make things scalable (regardless of all the hype over
decidable reasoning), so "OWL semantics" is kinda meaningless for
practical purposes and as we have also shown, owl:sameAs is used in
very odd contexts beyond strict identity all over the place.

I'm happy to talk philosophy (and have several papers about this) in
an academic context, but from an engineering point of view I'd just
like Linked Data to work. While Linked Data cloud is kinda huge, its
not nearly as big as it *could* be if we did two things 1) replaced
RDF/XML with a JSON format and 2) gave people easier options than 303
redirections. I think those are the two major deployment barriers.

   cheers,
         harry