Re: A proposal involving my original reason for commenting on httpRange-14

On 4/3/12 8:26 AM, Ed Summers wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 7:25 AM, Kingsley Idehen<kidehen@openlinksw.com>  wrote:
>> 303 hasn't stopped facebook adding 850 million+ Linked Data profiles to the
>> Web. We still talk about Linked Data as though its just starting when in
>> fact its already reached critical mass etc.. DBpedia, LOD Cloud etc..
>> combined with Facebook and Schema.org == way beyond critical mass :-)
> Perhaps this is where you were going, but I think it's important to
> point out that Facebook and publishers of Open Graph data ignore
> httpRange-14 entirely, which is probably why it is working. For
> example:
>
>      http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1182345/
>
> identifies a movie:
>
>      https://developers.facebook.com/tools/debug/og/object?q=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.imdb.com%2Ftitle%2Ftt1182345%2F
>
> Thanks for your email Harry!
>
> //Ed

Ed,

I wrote an old post deconstructing [1] what Facebook have done.
Basically, they've deftly located and straddled a middle line that many
overlook. Net effect, they negate the HttpRange-14 issue (at bootstrap
time) and the net effect is a  massive Linked Data contribution with
entry points that work for many data consumer profiles. They are set to
increase the fidelity of their Linked Data progressively which is the
only option for organizations in their situation.

Links:

1. http://goo.gl/y7Gq4 -- What Facebook Can Teach Us about Bootstrapping
Linked Data at InterWeb Scales .

--