RE: Friction and cross pollination

From: Larry Masinter <masinter@adobe.com>
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2011 11:19:17 -0700
To: Noah Mendelsohn <nrm@arcanedomain.com>
CC: Robin Berjon <robin@berjon.com>, Michael Champion <Michael.Champion@microsoft.com>, "ndw@nwalsh.com" <ndw@nwalsh.com>, "www-tag@w3.org" <www-tag@w3.org>
On 10/19/2011 3:37 AM, Larry Masinter wrote:
>> The ways in which HTML and XML can be used together better than before
>> seem like important things to document in the task force report as
>> well,

> Noah: Yes, and there are significant sections organized by use case that do just that.

The report didn't go into much detail about the topics in the thread.

Larry:
> " SVG can now be used in HTML; not long ago it required ungodly hacks"
>
> Worth pointing out.

Noah:
> I'm somewhat less convinced on this one, only because support for is such an explicit part of the HTML5 specification already [1].

So you disagree with Robin that SVG integration into HTML is a significant step forward in XML/HTML integration?

>  I'd rather see the task force focusing on things that are not quite so obvious from the specs.

I disagree that the status of XML/HTML integration in the case of SVG is "obvious", and the questions I posed before still haven't been answered in the Task force report.

There seems to be a reluctance to document things that people claim are "obvious", but their only obvious if you've been living and breathing this stuff for years. What I'd like is a single document which answers the technical questions with enough clarity that someone unfamiliar with the details of the specs and history of the conversations can still understand the situation; the single document should reflect the consensus of "both sides" as to the status; if disagreements remain, the document should explain the disagreements.

Larry