RE: "tdb" and "duri" URI schemes...

-----Original Message-----
From: Nathan [mailto:nathan@webr3.org]
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2010 2:32 AM
To: Larry Masinter
Cc: Graham Klyne; Jonathan Rees; www-tag@w3.org
Subject: Re: "tdb" and "duri" URI schemes...

Larry Masinter wrote:
> Almost all of the use cases for tdb I can think of need a timestamp,
> even when the description isn't varying (such as with data:).

> agree, but also see a big need for the non-dated semantic indirection on
> the web, especially in linked data territories, thus looking for some
> way to make that possible, without another 5-10 year lead time.

What about having the date optional...
so you could say tdb::<uri>  if you really don't want
to give a timestamp.

But I still can't think of a use case.

>> And duri with data: doesn't make sense to me.

Well, it "makes sense", it just doesn't do anything
(unless, I suppose, the data URI scheme were to change?)

> Likewise to some extent, however, with duri:
>
>  duri:2010:tdb:data:,The%20US%20president

I don't like this much, although I understand it.
Just putting the date in tdb:2010:data:,... seems simpler.

> and non temporally bound:
>   tdb:data:,The%20US%20president

Can you give a scenario where this would be useful?

> Regardless of this though, definitely need fragments in the URIs,
> encoded or not.

It's just syntactically messy. I'd need to make up some
other way of encoding # than %hex.

Larry