Re: Draft minutes of TAG teleconference of 21 January 2010

I understand that sometimes meaning is lost in email and especially in
meeting transcripts, so I just want to check that I understand the
current status of the discussion on ACTION-278.

1. The TAG does not dispute any of the arguments made in my web-key
paper <http://waterken.sf.net/web-key>.

2. The TAG understands that unguessable URLs are used for
access-control by many of the most popular sites on the Web. For
example, this email contains a Google Docs URL [1] for a document I
have chosen to make readable by all readers of this mailing list, even
those who have never used Google Docs. Had I not so chosen, these
readers would not have access and I could have shared access with a
smaller group of people, or no one at all.

3. Some members of the TAG believe that an unguessable https URL is a
"password in the clear", but that sending someone a URL and a separate
password to type into the web page is not a "password in the clear".

4. The TAG is currently sticking to its finding that prohibits use of
the web-key technique because Noah Mendelsohn says: "I don't like
that". There are no other substantive arguments that I could attempt
to refute.

5. The TAG does not dispute my argument that the current finding is
self-contradictory.

I'm hoping there is some significant nuance I have missed. If so,
please point out which of the above statements is false and exactly
why, so that I can engage with that part of the discussion.

--Tyler

[1] https://docs.google.com/Doc?docid=0AYOd4-51pI6HZGc0d2Q3N2RfMGYyZmZ0cGdt&hl=en