Re: Courtesy notification: call for consensus on HTML normative language reference issues

From: Dan Connolly <connolly@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 04 Jan 2010 13:07:15 -0600
To: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Cc: Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>, noah_mendelsohn@us.ibm.com, "Michael(tm) Smith" <mike@w3.org>, Paul Cotton <paul.cotton@microsoft.com>, Philippe Le Hegaret <plh@w3.org>, Sam Ruby <rubys@intertwingly.net>, "www-tag@w3.org WG" <www-tag@w3.org>
On Mon, 2010-01-04 at 11:54 +0100, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 11:32:21 +0100, Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
> wrote:
> > On Mon, 04 Jan 2010 06:36:21 +0100, Maciej Stachowiak <mjs@apple.com>
> > wrote:

> >> I don't think I can commit on behalf of the Working Group to publish
> >> the document as Last Call, nor do I think the Working Group itself can
> >> credibly pre-commit to that step. [...]
> >
> > Non-normative documents are published as WG Note, not as Last Call
> > documents.

Those aren't exclusive; i.e. you can do a Last Call before a Note.

Precedent:

"This is the Last Call for the requirements Working Draft of the XML Key
Management Working Group (Activity Statement). This version represents
the consensus of the Working Group."
 -- http://www.w3.org/TR/2002/WD-xkms2-req-20020318

followed by http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/NOTE-xkms2-req-20030505

> Apparently there is plenty of precedence for publishing them as W3C REC in
> the end (e.g. RDF and OWL primers). Forgot about that. Not sure whether it
> is worth it.

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E