Re: ACTION-278 Hiding metadata for security reasons

On Wed, 2010-02-10 at 16:50 -0800, ashok malhotra wrote:
> Larry said ...
>
> "It *might* be possible to make secret URLs into a "yellow ribbon"
> security mechanism, if, for example,
> the "unguessable" part of the URL were clearly unguessable.  (Random
> jumble of letters rather than,
> say, random quotes from literature, which might not
> look random.)"
>
> I agree with this.  DanC says that secret URLs can be made as
> secure as password protection or more.  I don't understand how.
> Perhaps DanC could elaborate.

I said passwords+cookies (which is the way passwords are almost
universally deployed in the web; nobody asks for your password
for _every_ HTTP request, and almost nobody uses MD5-auth or
any of the alternatives.)

Passwords+cookies don't protect against CSRF; unguessable URIs do.

"The attacker must determine the right values for all the form's or
URL's inputs: if any of them are required to be secret authentication
values or IDs that the attacker can't guess, the attack will fail."
 -- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-site_request_forgery

gpg D3C2 887B 0F92 6005 C541  0875 0F91 96DE 6E52 C29E