Re: ACTION-278 Hiding metadata for security reasons

On Sun, Feb 7, 2010 at 8:18 AM, Jonathan Rees <jar@creativecommons.org>wrote:

> 1. The user may not know he/she is subscribed to the list (either
> forgot, or was added speculatively), in which case it's unlikely
> they'd have kept track of a password
> 2. Legitimate businesses want to make unsubscription as easy as
> possible, to minimize the chance they'll be accused of sending spam.
> Thus the password recovery step (and even, I would argue, the
> copy/paste step) is unacceptable overhead to them
> 3. The user may not have the ability to send email from the account
> that is subscribed (it may just be a forwarding address)
>
> I'm going to mark my action 'pending review'.

Despite Google having one of the world's largest investment in accounts with
passwords and cookies, their guidelines for bulk sender unsubscription <
http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=81126#unsub>
agrees with Jonathan.

--
    Cheers,