Re: interesting hash in URLs

Exactly, which is why I asked the question --- how does one
interpret the '#'?

As you point out, the value  after the '#' is not an idref into
the document; rather  one way to interpret that '#' is as the
client-side equivalent of the server-side '?' in the URL, i.e.

http://example.com/foo/?a=1
a=1 is a server param

http://example.com/foo#a=1

a is a client-side param

But it's a bit mor eindirect than that.

Things to take away:

The CNN example is an interesting case of include processing ---
ie the #foobar in the URL refers to some portion of the document
that materializes after all scripts have run.

More interestingly, it's not simple include processing at the
level of jumping to an idref after all
scripts have been processed; rather it's jumping off to another
server.

So this is why I asked the TAG question:

What does '#' mean in that CNN URL.

--
Best Regards,
--raman