Re: Apple Music Store & Web Architecture

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2003 12:27:34 -0400
To: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>
Cc: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, WWW-Tag <www-tag@w3.org>

On Thu, May 01, 2003 at 01:24:57PM +0200, Chris Lilley wrote:
> I recall seeing a similar 'ical' URI scheme deployed, again to trigger
> despatching.

Mark Nottingham investigated iCal's use of the "webcal" URI scheme, and
concluded it was likely due to an Apache mod_dav/put bug which doesn't
store the media type on a PUT;

http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/2002Sep/0030.html
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/uri/2002Sep/0041.html

That sounds like a perfectly reasonable explanation to me.

> Are people doing this because of the difficulty of setting media types
> on the server?

In this case, since I assume they're not using DAV/PUT, perhaps some of
the people involved in iCal contributed to the iTunes project, and just
brought that legacy with them?  Pure conjecture, of course.

httpRange-14 anyone? (just kidding! 8-)

MB