Re: iCal

From: Mark Nottingham <mnot@mnot.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2002 12:28:15 -0700
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@greenbytes.de>, <uri@w3.org>
Cc: <me@aaronsw.com>

[ this is on-topic for uri@w3.org only in as much as it affects technical
decisions re: minting new schemes vs. using media types for dispatch ]

A bit more info;

After doing some header traces (Thanks, Aaron!), it appears that iCal PUTs
the data as 'application/octet-stream', so they're not even trying. They
also don't take advantage of persistent connections, but that's a just a
nit, relatively.

On the server side, it appears that neither Apache mod_put or mod_dav will
properly return the Content-Type sent in a PUT. This is probably part of
the reason that Apple decided to use a URI scheme for dispatch.

I'm not surprised that this is the case with mod_put (and it appears that
it isn't a huge effort to get it to do so, via mod_cern_meta; there's also
a bug in mod_put in that it needs to issue 201 Created when appropriate).
I am somewhat surprised that mod_dav doesn't do the right thing.