RE: [metaDataInURI-31]: Initial draft finding for public review/ comme nt.

<snip/>

> | What if I do know 2396(bis) and the scheme in question?
>
> I suppose one can reasonably know the protocol and for some
> protocols additional information about the URI, but I don't
> think any of these things really counts as metadata in any
> significant way.
>
> In fact, I think this could be described as a syntactic
> understanding of the URI as opposed to any sort of semantic
> understanding.

Well I mostly agree... it really swings for me on what to take any of the
utterences below to mean (particularly the last one). Are they illustrative
(open ended) of a common usage, or are they a constraint on the sort of
things that URI from a given scheme can be used to identify?

I know I'm pushing on this. This is where this issue intersects with
httpRange-14 (words to the effect of http URI without fragments identify
documents aka networked resources...you can't use that to name Dan's
car...). I would really like both resolved in a consistent way. No peaking
means just that...

...and then... there are queries and published site policies for syntax and
semantics of parameters of queriable resources...

Regards

Stuart
--

[RFC2368 mailto scheme]
   "The mailto URL scheme is used to designate the Internet mailing

[RFC1738 ftp scheme]
"3.2. FTP

   The FTP URL scheme is used to designate files and directories on
   Internet hosts accessible using the FTP protocol (RFC959)."

[RFC1738 gopher scheme]
"3.4. GOPHER

   The Gopher URL scheme is used to designate Internet resources
   accessible using the Gopher protocol"

[RFC1738 news scheme]
"3.6. NEWS

   The news URL scheme is used to refer to either news groups or
   individual articles of USENET news, as specified in RFC 1036."

[RFC1738 telnet scheme]
"3.8. TELNET

   The Telnet URL scheme is used to designate interactive services that
   may be accessed by the Telnet protocol."

[RFC2392 mid and cid schemes]
   "The "mid" (Message-ID) and "cid" (Content-ID) URL schemes provide
   identifiers for messages and their body parts.  The "mid" scheme uses
   (a part of) the message-id of an email message to refer to a specific
   message.  The "cid" scheme refers to a specific body part of a
   message; its use is generally limited to references to other body
   parts in the same message as the referring body part.  The "mid"
   scheme may also refer to a specific body part within a designated
   message, by including the content-ID's address."

...and of course the infamous...

[RFC2616 http scheme]
"3.2.2 http URL

   The "http" scheme is used to locate network resources via the HTTP
   protocol."

<snip/>