Re: Some comments on 27 June 2003 Web Arch WD

Williams, Stuart wrote:

> A formulation I can live with is that we have two resources, a namespace
and
> a namespace document that are identified by distinct URI as you illustrate
> below. Both resources have an identical set of available representations
(or
> at least there is some intersection in the representations available).

Interesting concept (that both resources have identical representations).
Hmmmm...

I might dereference a namespace name (e.g. http://example.org/thisNamespace)
looking for, e.g. Accept: application/pdf (assuming this means a "PDF"
document) and the server might provide a PDF representation of a namespace,
but if I dereferenced: http://example.org/thisNamespace.html with Accept:
application/pdf, shouldn't I get some sort of error?

Similarly suppose I ask for: application/rdf+xml. Now if I have a RDDL
document on the server, it might perfectly reasonably run an XSLT on the
RDDL and provide me an RDF 'version' of the _namespace_, but it seems that
if I ask for an RDF version of the _namespace document_ might I want
something like some Dublin Core properties?

I'd say that if 2 resources have an identical set of representations, that
indeed they are the same resource, but it would be perfectly reasonable for
two such resources to have some intersection of available representations.

Jonathan