Why not XHTML+RDF? was Re: Links are links

Paul Prescod wrote:

> Norman Walsh wrote:
>  >...
>  >
>  >I have to say that an applet like this seems like a really good
>  >example of something that isn't the sort of thing I'd point to with an
>  >XLink. That just doesn't smell like a hypertext reference to me.
>
> Can someone please explain the virtue of trying to distinguish between
> "hypertext links" and "other links"? To me it sounds not only
> meaningless but actually harmful to the development of real-world
software.

> Does this mean that every URI is a hyperlink? No. A URI is a hyperlink
> if its referent is supposed to be retrievable or otherwise accessible.
> So namespace URIs are not links unless a future namespace specification
> says that namespace documents MUST be provided. Links to stylesheets are
> hyperlinks. Links to schemas are hyperlinks. References to abstract
> concepts are not.
>
> Or to say it another way, a "hyper"-link is an assertion of relationship
> between two Web-retrievable resources.

This seems to be a reasonable way to distinguish "link" from "anyURI" but
gosh, this entire argument, which mystifies me somewhat then comes down to
some simple assertion:s

foo:link rdfs:domain uri:Retrievable .
foo:link rdfs:range uri:Retrievable .

which basically says that something that is a "foo:link" is a property of a
"uri:Retrievable" resource and whose value is a "uri:Retrievable" resource.

Which underscores the fact that RDF is a good generalization of all this
stuff. With RDF you can express any semantics desired by e.g. the HTML WG
with HLink etc.

Why not just use XHTML+RDF, and the HTML WG develop a particular terminology
which expresses its needs? Surely we don't need yet another syntax for
asserting relationships between URIs -- we really should be developing
reusable solutions -- which is the whole point of discussing "web
architecture".

Jonathan

http://www.openhealth.org
http://www.jonathanborden-md.com