RE: [rdfmsQnameUriMapping-6] Algorithm for creating a URI from a QName in RDF Model?

From: Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 10:58:10 +0100
To: "Julian Reschke" <julian.reschke@gmx.de>, "Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com>, <www-tag@w3.org>
Cc: <www-tag@w3.org>
At 20:35 22/05/2002 +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
[...]

>As far as I understand the issue, *any* algorithm that attempts to map
>
>(uriref, name) -> (uri)
>
>will be unreasonable if it attempts to produce a URI in the same URI schema
>as the namespace name. This is because for an arbitrary URI scheme, there
>will be no obvious way to produce new valid URIs without having a priori
>knowledge about this URI scheme's syntax (and semantics).
>
>For instance, consider the qname ("tel:++492512807760", "foo"). If you want
>to things even more interesting, try ("tel:++492512807760#bar", "foo").

I see what you mean; you envisage a requirement that all qnames must have a
well formed URI.

RDF does not have that requirement.  It would take the view that if you use
a qname in a situation which requires it to be transformed to a URI, then
its a bad idea to use qnames that don't transform to a sensible URI.

If the TAG proceeds with this, it would be important to get the scope and
requirements clear.

Brian