Re: [rdfmsQnameUriMapping-6] Algorithm for creating a URI from a QName in RDF Model?

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Thu, 23 May 2002 08:02:55 -0400
To: Julian Reschke <julian.reschke@gmx.de>
Cc: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>, Brian McBride <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>, Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>, www-tag@w3.org
On Wed, May 22, 2002 at 09:53:11PM +0200, Julian Reschke wrote:
> So restricting the algorithm to a specific subset of qnames will make it
> unusable for many specs.

I didn't say that there wouldn't be casualties 8-), only that it was a
solution usable for multiple URI schema.

> What if the namespace name isn't a URI (but a URI reference like
> "http://foo/bar#test")?

I believe that a namespace is a resource, not a document fragment, and
as such, should be identified by a URI, not a URI reference.

> Proposal:
>
> define a new schema like "qn:" and map
>
> 	(uriref, name)
>
> to something like
>
> 	qn:uri-escaped-utf8(name):uri-escaped(uriref)

The enormous cost of deploying new URI schemes has been talked about
here (and elsewhere) before.  I would recommend that we look for
solutions that reuse the HTTP scheme, and only consider a new one as a
last resort.

MB