Re: [rdfmsQnameUriMapping-6] Algorithm for creating a URI from a QName in RDF Model?

Brian McBride wrote:

> Thank you for initiating this discussion.  I'm sorry I missed it
> earlier; I try to monitor the TAG traffic, but there is quite a lot; I'm
> sure you know the problem.

One question that you don't address, but should, is whether this issue
is important and whether we ought to invest work in it.

>> It wouldn't be that hard to write a simple rule for mapping qnames to
>> URIs.  A little thought shows that it the mapping would have to be
>> reversible,
>
> It would be helpful if you were to document the argument that leads to
> the conclusion that the mapping must be reversible.

One of the design goals of namespaces is to support software dispatching
based on the namespace name.  If you can't figure out what the namespace
name is, you can't do this.

>> There's a meta-question that goes along with these.  If every qname
>> becomes a URI, the question arises of what the URI addresses.
>
> That feels a bit like inventing a problem.  I suggest that unless the
> TAG has identified a compelling reason to answer this new question, it
> can be safely left until someone raises it.  RDFCore is trying to get to
> last call, and a quick decision on the qname/uri mapping question is
> highly desirable.

We feel that there is little point waiting for someone to raise the
issue, because history strongly suggests that lots of people will do so,
quickly, so we might as well have our thoughts on this worked out before
they do. -Tim