Re: Updated: issue qnameAsId-18

From: Norman Walsh <Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 2002 15:56:06 -0400
To: www-tag@w3.org

/ "Jonathan Borden" <jonathan@openhealth.org> was heard to say:
| Regarding the qnameAsId issue, which is now water over the dam as XSLT/XPath
| has become widespread and successful, I would prefer incorporating language
| acknowledging XPath's use of qnames, which goes beyond xs:Qname, e.g.

Yes, I toyed with some wording on that score but couldn't write
anything with which I was happy. I should try again.

| "Use of QNames within attribute content may be signalled by a regular
| expression defined type such as [ex:QNameTokens]. When used in this fashion,
| an implicit or explicit namespace context must exist within which namespace
| prefixes are bound to namespace URIs. "

I don't see how this text covers XPath. I don't think XPath
expressions can be described by any meaningful regular expression.

| Ideally the regular expression which is used to define a QName containing
| string would have been defined by XML Schema as a builtin type, but this
| issue wasn't apparently apparent at the time :-/

I am tempted to suggested adding an XPath data type. I'm not at all
comfortable with the monolithic nature of data types in XML Schema, so
I'm not sure I want to suggest it there. But there's probably no where
else.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman.Walsh@Sun.COM   | A man can believe a considerable deal of
XML Standards Engineer | rubbish, and yet go about his daily work in a