Re: New issue: error recovery practices (Re: Proposed TAG Finding: Internet Media Type registration, consistency of use)

From: Tim Bray <tbray@textuality.com>
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2002 10:45:30 -0700
To: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Cc: Chris Lilley <chris@w3.org>, www-tag@w3.org, "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>

Keith Moore wrote:

> Still, I have no problem with raising the bar - my main point is that
> if you're going to complain about errors then you need to arrange for
> those complaints to go to somewhere that is useful.

What Keith said.  I think this may be one of these things you could say
architecturally... along the lines of "future specifications MUST NOT
specify a default behavior of silent error/recovery fixup, and SHOULD
ensure that information about errors is routed to the parties who
(a) caused the error to occur, and
(b) have the capability of correcting the situation
noting that (a) and (b) may not be the same."

I think I'm beginning to believe there is a tractable architectural
issue here. -Tim