Re: httpRange proposed text

Joshua Allen wrote:

[there was way too much indenting & quoting going on, I tried to
simplify -Tim]

>>"If two people independently use the same URI as an identifier,
>> they
>> should be able to have a reasonable degree of confidence that they
>> are
>> identifying the same resource.
>
>the answer has to do with how you go about naming resources.  I don't
>get it; further explanation please?
>
>> It is tautological.  URIs exist to unambiguously identify things.
>>
>> The proposed text offers no advice about *how* to guarantee the
>> unambiguous identification characteristics of a URI.  It simply affirms
>> that this is the *purpose* of URIs, and recommends that people choose
>> URIs which do not conflict with that purpose.

There's a contradiction here: the proposed text either offers no advice,
*or* it advises that people choose URIs not to conflict with this
purpose.  In the first case ("no advice") it doesn't belong in the
architecture document, which exists to offer advice on the web
architecture, what to do and what not to do.

In the second case ("choose URIs which do not conflict with that
purpose") I don't understand the advice.  Could you beef it up with an
example or some further background text? -Tim