Re: [namespaceDocument-8] RDDL wishlist

On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 14:40, Tim Berners-Lee wrote:
> If you say that a namespace file should *only* contain pointers,
> then you may impede a perfectly goo application which has
> a bunch of useful stuff in a single language
> (e.g. RDF with a style sheet) and make such applications work at
> half speed because you force an extra indirection.

I don't think "half-speed" is plausible here.  Downloading a document
containing pointers and then downloading appropriate resources, while it
has a one-time retrieval and processing cost, is also a one-time affair
if an application is written with a vaguely sensible caching strategy.

The benefits of acknowledging "there's more than one way to do it" this
way seem to pretty drastically overwhelm the value of slapping one kind
of "useful stuff" at a location.  Multiple ways seem to be a given in
the XML world, from CSS/XSLT to DTDs/W3C XML Schema/RELAX NG/Schematron
to the different kinds of resource needs at creation time and (various
kinds of) run time.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!