Re: PIs considered harmful Was: XML-SW, a thought experiment

At 4:40 PM +0100 2/13/02, Jacek Kopecky wrote:
>  Norm,
>  had the DocBook schema been designed to allow for arbitrary
>extensibility in an other namespace, the added element (or
>attribute) would be the solution. Look at HTML - it ignores
>unknown tags. In XML we could ignore unknown elements from
>unknown namespaces _and_ their contents as well, of course.

Consider this position not from the perspective of Norm, who wrote
most of the DocBook DTDs and stylesheets, but from my perspective, an
interested user but one who hasn't had any real involvement ion the
development of DocBook. Can I change DocBook to make it more
extensible to arbitrary namespaces? Should I? Should I have to to be
able to add my own unique processing information to my own DocBook
documents?

Processing instructions are necessary because we need to add this
information to documents written in XML vocabularies we do not
control and cannot change. Perhaps schema languages should be written
in a more permissive fashion so that they automatically allow
anything from other namespaces. Everything not forbidden is
permitted. However, that is not how either DTDs or the W3C XML Schema
Language is written. Consequently we need processing instructions.