Re: PIs considered harmful Was: XML-SW, a thought experiment

 Norm,
 I'm speaking here as a relative newcomer to the depths of XML,
but I have a feeling that you wish for three things which
together contradict themselves:

 1) maintain tight control over your vocabulary,
 2) extend it nevertheless in specific applications,
 3) validate the extended documents according to the original
tight schema.

 Why does the specific application not validate against a
specific schema? You could get the benefit of validating the
extensions, too.

 I assume the knowledge that the extended documents are not
directed at the original applications but at other applications
which are controlled by a vocabulary other than the tight
original one.

 Other than the time to recode the applications more cleanly (as
usual with such Occam's cuts) I don't think we would loose
anything by dropping PIs from XML.

 Best regards,

                   Jacek Kopecky

                   http://www.systinet.com/