Re: SVG's future

From: Rik Cabanier <cabanier@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2017 21:05:55 -0800
To: "Dr. Olaf Hoffmann" <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
Cc: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
On Sat, Feb 11, 2017 at 9:54 AM, Dr. Olaf Hoffmann <Dr.O.Hoffmann@gmx.de>
wrote:

> Tab Atkins Jr.:

> > > [snip quite a lot]

> >  Stop this now.
> >
> > ~TJ
>
> yet another unproductive attempt to keep someone's trap shut about
> nonsense at
> W3C?

No, Tab is right. This WAS an uninformed rant.

Insulting people's work, conspiracy theories and ad hominem attacks are
counter-productive and lowers morale.
Getting standards done requires the exact opposite of this approach.

> Why, if we know already, that SVG 2 is dead and several other activities of
> the W3C like semantic web, separation of content and decoration, are borked
> now for years?

Only a few vocal people are insisting on "perfect" academic solutions; most
authors are quite happy to live in the messy but forgiving world that is
the web today. Browser vendor's priorities reflect this.

> No own suggestions/ideas, what to do to get SVG implementations complete?
> I think, there are meanwhile millions of authors with a lot of content
> around,
> much interested in complete implementations, without a need to worry about
> different bugs and caps in different common user-agents, surely a lot of
> them
> interested as well in a new version of SVG with new features, simplifying
> their work or even allowing new types of images

SVG is more successful today than it's ever been. Maybe those incomplete
features weren't needed in the first place?

I believe that the future of SVG does not consist of new graphical features
but of a deeper integration with the rest of the platform as well as offer
more consistency. (ie common matrices, CORS/CSP, CSS)
That can be done outside of SVG and AFAIK is still moving ahead.