Re: SVG animations without SMIL

From: Paul LeBeau <paul.lebeau@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jun 2015 23:10:51 +1200
To: Brian Birtles <bbirtles@mozilla.com>
Cc: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>
> I'd rather not add something to CSS that is all but impossible to author
by hand.

The sort of tweens that would be simple to author by hand would be for
shapes that are simple to create by hand.  Any complicated shape you try
and tween would probably be complicated to tween manually - no matter the
algorithm.  Massaging the two paths into a form that produces a desirable
tween effect is the job of a third party tool IMO.

I just don't think complex tweening algorithms belong in the SVG standard.
And given that even the proposal to include simple regular polygons in SVG2
was regarded as bloat, I doubt this would get past the approval process
anyway.