Re: Proposal: <star> element

From: Tavmjong Bah <tav.w3c@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2014 12:53:33 +0100
To: Paul LeBeau <paul.lebeau@gmail.com>
Cc: www-svg <www-svg@w3.org>, Gavin Kistner <phrogz@me.com>
On Mon, 2014-03-10 at 06:47 +1300, Paul LeBeau wrote:
> I actually started with a inner+outer radius approach, but finding a
> way to support both regular and non-regular star shapes got messy and
> complicated.  So I went with a simplified approach that still allowed
> a large range of commonly used shapes and also supported both the
> poly-gon and poly-gram star forms.

I like the idea of 'density' but I do thing users will want to change
the inner/outer radius.

Inkscape has a star/polygon tool that stores parameters in the Inkscape
name space. The star/polygon get's exposed as a path.

The parameters are:

  * number of sides
  * center x
  * center y
  * r1
  * r2
  * arg1
  * arg2
  * flat sided (polygon) or star shaped
  * roundedness
  * randomness

You can see the effect of some of these parameters at:

	http://tavmjong.free.fr/INKSCAPE/MANUAL/html/Shapes-Stars.html

The SVG WG has talked about a star/polygon element many times, but no
one got around to spec-ing it out. Maybe this will get it done.

Tav