Re: Porting fill/stroke (and -opacity variants) to plain CSS

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 2:28 PM, Cameron McCormack <cam@mcc.id.au> wrote:
>> We'll look to existing SVG application of fill/stroke to <text>, and
>> WebKit's use of their proprietary text-stroke and text-fill
>> properties, to inform how they work.  We'll probably define them in
>> the Text Decoration module.
>>
>> Any issues you anticipate with that?
>
> First I'd like to know how text-stroke and text-fill work.  How does
> text-fill interact with color?

If 'text-fill-color' is "unspecified" (whatever that means - I presume
it's some initial value that goes away at computed-value time), it
takes the value of 'color'.  For 'fill', we can address this the way
Dirk says, which seems consistent with 'stroke', and add a "none"
value back to 'fill', using the UA stylesheet to set it to "black" for
SVG elements.  I don't like this much, though, because then "none" has
to mean "fill with the 'color' property instead", which is different
than what "stroke: none;" means.  I'd prefer just setting the initial
value to "currentColor", and then using the UA stylesheet to set it to
black for SVG elements.

'stroke' is fine, since it defaults to "none".

~TJ