Re: Porting fill/stroke (and -opacity variants) to plain CSS

On Wed, Jan 23, 2013 at 2:52 PM, Doug Schepers <schepers@w3.org> wrote:
> Hi, Tab-
>
> Just one thing for consideration (there are surely many others):
>
> When using stroke with text, typically authors would prefer to have the
> stroke underneath the fill, rather than on top of it, as it is now.
> Otherwise, it gets too muddled.

Strongly agree - I think it's extremely easy to show by example why an
"outside" stroke is much more pleasing than a "both sides" stroke, and
you can simulate the former by painting the fill over the stroke.

> We plan to add the capability to SVG 2 to allow the stroke to be under the
> fill, along with other stroke properties. The mechanism we're using is
> ultimately Vector Effects, but I think many of us see value in having some
> "canned effect" properties for common things like stroke-under-fill,
> multi-stroke, non-scaling-stroke, and other things. I'd like to see this
> explored as part of CSS.

This is actually exposed already as part of the paint-order property,
right?  You can just specify "paint-order: stroke fill" and it'll
work.

~TJ