Re: Additional Proposed Agenda Items for Today's (Monday's?) SVG TeleCon

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 16:51:13 +0100, Patrick Dengler <patd@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> #3B - Line caps drawing on zero length lines
> ======================================
> The spec states: "A subpath consisting of a single moveto shall not be
> stroked. Any zero length subpath shall not be stroked if the
> 'stroke-linecap' property has a value of butt but shall be stroked if
> the 'stroke-linecap' property has a value of round or square, producing
> respectively a circle or a square centered at the given point. Examples
> of zero length subpaths include 'M 10,10 L 10,10', 'M 20,20 h 0', 'M
> 30,30 z' and 'M 40,40 c 0,0 0,0 0,0'.
>
> The 1.1 spec seems inconsistent on this point.  In some cases it
> reflected this behavior for both round & square - see section F.5
> ('path' element implementation notes) which specifically addresses
> zero-length segments and correctly mentioned both round & square.
>
> Can we get the spec updated to reflect the behaviors for round and
> square across the board?

I don't exactly follow what the inconsistency is, both places mention both
round and square linecaps. Do you want the F.5 section to also say that
'butt' linecaps means nothing is drawn?

I can see that F.5 is called "<path> element implementation notes", e.g it
should perhaps be noted that 'stroke-dasharray' can trigger the
zero-length behaviour for zero-length dashes on any shape.

Cheers
/Erik

Co-Chair, W3C SVG Working Group