Re: Additional Proposed Agenda Items for Today's (Monday's?) SVG TeleCon

On Thu, 04 Feb 2010 16:51:13 +0100, Patrick Dengler <patd@microsoft.com>
wrote:

> #3C - 'symbol' and 'display: none' clarification
>
>> From
>> http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/publish/struct.html#SymbolElement
>
> 'symbol' elements are never rendered directly; their only usage is as
> something that can be referenced using the 'use' element. The 'display'
> property does not apply to the 'symbol' element; thus, 'symbol' elements
> are not directly rendered even if the 'display' property is set to a
> value other than none, and 'symbol' elements are available for
> referencing even when the 'display' property on the 'symbol' element or
> any of its ancestors is set to none.
>
> <symbol id="sym1" x="96" y="96" style="display: none">
>     <rect x="0" y="0" width="96" height="96" fill="black" />
> </symbol>
> <use xlink:href="#sym1" />
>
> Should a black 'rect' render (from the 'use') in the above scenario? It
> does not specify what happens to 'use' instances of 'symbol's when
> 'display: none' is specified. It is technically 'available for
> referencing', but it will never render because 'display: none' can't be
> overridden by child elements. So it depends on what is meant by
> 'available for referencing' - it is technically 'available', but it is
> pretty much useless because it will never be visible or occupy layout.

None of the viewers I tested rendered anything for that particular
testcase. The definition of the <use> element already tells you that
display should be respected:

[[
For user agents that support Styling with CSS, the generated 'g' element
carries along with it the "cascaded" property values on the 'use' element
which result from the CSS cascade [CSS2-CASCADE]. Additionally, the copy
(deep clone) of the referenced resource carries along with it the
"cascaded" property values resulting from the CSS cascade on the original
(i.e., referenced) elements.
]]

> #3D - Further error processing clarifications
>
> In XHTML, we are unclear how the error processing from Tiny 1.2 applies
> to the scenario below.  It seems that all browsers inherit the
> strike-through, yet they probably shouldn't.
>
> SVG TEXT should inherit bold in this scenario.
> <b>
> </b>
>
> SVG TEXT should not inherit the strikethrough in this scenario.
> <s>
> </s>

Nice find, I took the liberty of checking that in into the UA-test
directory:

   http://dev.w3.org/SVG/profiles/1.1F2/ua-tests/bold-italic-strikethrough-element-inherit.xhtml

Definately something to discuss.

Cheers