Re: [SVGMobile12] Comments: Introduction

Craig Northway wrote:
>>> current SVG document fragment
>>>    The XML document sub-tree which starts with the ancestor 'svg'
>>>    element of a given SVG element, with the requirement that all
>>>    container elements between the 'svg'
>>>    and this element are all elements in the SVG language and namespace.
>>
>> So one always talks about the "current SVG document fragment" of some
>> specific node, then?  Perhaps that should be made clear in the naming.
>
> Yes, you do talk about the current SVG document fragment of a node. Are
> you suggesting the name of this term should change?

I guess that would be too drastic... Perhaps the definition should
clearly say that the term only makes sense when reference is made to a
particular node?

> Perhaps but, I think this is needed to make it clear that only the
> elements defined by the W3C SVG language are acceptable.

I see.  So if I have a <foo> in the W3C SVG namespace then that makes
things not work here?  That makes sense, but is probably worth an
informative example somewhere.

>> It seems that there can be no "current SVG document fragment" for a
>> node

> Yes, thats what I believe. How's this:
 >
 >    current SVG document fragment
 >    The current SVG document fragment of a element is the XML document
 >    sub-tree which starts with the ancestor 'svg'
 >    <cid:part1.06080305.01090602@cisra.canon.com.au> element. For this
 >    to be a valid current SVG document fragement all container elements
 >    between the 'svg' <cid:part1.06080305.01090602@cisra.canon.com.au>
 >    and this element must be elements in the SVG language and namespace.

That phrasing doesn't address my concern, which is that we clearly say
that there may be no current SVG document fragment for a given node (and
that all places which talk about current SVG document fragments handle
the case when there isn't one in some way, but I suspect that already
falls out of the general way rendering is speficied).  This also has the
same "starts with" problem as "SVG document fragment".

Perhaps something like this:

-------------------------------------
current SVG document fragment
The current SVG document fragment of an element is the XML document
sub-tree such that:

1) The sub-tree has an 'svg' element as its root.
2) The sub-tree contains the element in question
3) All ancestors of the element in question in the sub-tree are elements
in the SVG language and namespace.

I couldn't figure out a way to express the three criteria in sentence
form without being very long-winded and hard to follow, but I see
nothing wong with listing them in a list like this...

To modify this definition for 1.2 Full, I believe all you'd have to do
is change condition (3) to:

3') All ancestors of the element in question in the sub-tree are
elements in the SVG language and namespace and are either the root of
the sub-tree or not an 'svg' element.

-Boris