Re: AMPLIFICATION: RE: consideration for SVG 1.2

On Thursday, July 15, 2004, 11:07:03 PM, Doug wrote:

DS> Hi, James-

DS> Sorry, I didn't realize that you weren't talking about SVG-Full.

DS> Huh, it does seem strange that external references are forbidden in Mobile
DS> profiles...

They are not totally forbidden. The 'a' element, for example, can
reference external things otherwise it would be useless.

DS> can someone in the WG address whether they are they explicitly
DS> disallowed for UAs, or only not required?

Disallowed.

DS> If disallowed, is this due to lack
DS> of access to other resources, or due to the computational difficulty of
DS> referencing those resources? If there's not a compelling reason otherwise, I
DS> agree with James.

Lack of access is one - an MMS message is sent on a peer to peer basis,
there is no server, so going back to request the external resources
(images etc) is not possible. Another reason is that many devices in
this class do not have a filesystem as such. A more compelling reason is
the computational complexity of a reentrant XML parser and the ability
to hold multiple parsed XML documents at once.

 Chair, W3C SVG Working Group