RE: AMPLIFICATION: RE: consideration for SVG 1.2

Hi, James-

Sorry, I didn't realize that you weren't talking about SVG-Full.

Huh, it does seem strange that external references are forbidden in Mobile
profiles... can someone in the WG address whether they are they explicitly
disallowed for UAs, or only not required? If disallowed, is this due to lack
of access to other resources, or due to the computational difficulty of
referencing those resources? If there's not a compelling reason otherwise, I
agree with James.

It seems to me that it wouldn't be too onerous to make static reference to
other documents, but I've never implemented a viewer. Can someone clear up a
point for me here? I know that for internal references, if you change the
referenced text with script, the tref also changes. Is this also the case
with external references, or are the references considered static after the
initial reference? If it does change, how does this function? Must the
referencing document monitor DOM events in the other document? What if the
referenced document is not an SVG document, but is RDF or other XML?

Regards-
-Doug

James Bentley wrote:

| Sorry for my confusion.  Where I saw the limitation was in
| the mobile spec - to which we are implementing
|
| "References and the 'defs' Element
| For SVGT, all referenced objects, except on the 'image' and
| 'a' elements, must be internal (using the 'data:' URL scheme,
| and base64 encoding). SVGB does not put extra limitations on
| external references as defined by SVG 1.1."
|
| I would suppose that removing this limitation from SVG Tiny
| would be what I'm after.
| Thanks.

---