Re: Elements that establish viewports

Robert,

At 07:43 PM 7/19/01 +0000, Robert DiBlasi wrote:
>W3C Working Group and SVG community,
>
>I understand that the following SVG elements establish a new viewport
>
>>svg
>>symbol
>>image
>>marker
>>pattern
>>foreignObject
>
>but as usual... my tedious questioning and literal take on reading the
>specification leads me to ask another question....

A viewport-creating element does a couple of special things:

1) Define a rectangular region (you might say a viewport) to allow for
scale-to-fit using attributes 'viewBox' and 'preserveAspectRatio' (some
non-viewport elements do this also)
2) Redefine the meaning of percentages
3) Define an implicit rectangular clipping path if 'overflow' has the value
'hidden' (some non-viewport elements do this also)

The SVG working group had a long debate and decided that markers and
patterns don't establish new viewports. This was mainly due to discussion
of how to deal with percentages. Markers and patterns satisfy (1) and (3),
but not (2).

After looking through this email, it looks as if a couple of additional
sentences in the specification might make this all clearer to the reader.

>is there something different about these elements the also establish new
>viewports....

>def
>use
>switch
>mask
>filter
>feImage
>font
>glyph
>missing-glyph
>
>just trying to get my thoughts straight about how this second group of SVG
>elements ties into the first group....or do they at all?

These elements don't do the three things which I listed above.

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG 1.0 Editor
jferraio@adobe.com