Re: [www-svg] <none>

Robert,
Thanks for all of your careful review. Comments below.

At 07:29 PM 7/19/01 +0000, Robert DiBlasi wrote:
>W3C Working group and SVG mailling list community,
>
>I am working on trying to understand what styling properties affect
>parameters of different SVG elements.
>
>I have noticed in the DTD for SVG:
>
>The following presentation attributes apply to text content elements.
><!ENTITY % PresentationAttributes-TextContentElements
>'alignment-baseline'
>'baseline-shift'
>'glyph-orientation-horizontal'
>'glyph-orientation-vertical'
>'kerning'
>'letter-spacing'
>'text-decoration'
>'word-spacing'
>'direction'
>'unicode-bidi'
>
>and than I started my investigation into the term
>"text content elements":
>
>text content element
>One of SVG's elements that can define a text string that is to be rendered
>onto the canvas. SVG's text content elements are the following: 'text',
>'tspan', 'tref' and 'textPath'.

The Proposed Recommendation includes 'altGlyph' in the list of elements
that are "text content elements". See
http://www.w3.org/TR/2001/PR-SVG-20010719/intro.html#TermTextContentElement

>then I looked at the properties index.....and found
>
>1) that the "applies to" column for the following properties states:
>'text, 'tspan', 'tref', 'altGlyph', 'textPath' elements
>'alignment-baseline'
>'baseline-shift'
>'glyph-orientation-horizontal'
>'glyph-orientation-vertical'
>'kerning'
>'letter-spacing'
>'text-decoration'
>'word-spacing'
>
>2) that the "applies to" column for the following properties states:
>'text', 'tspan', 'tref' and 'textPath' elements
>'direction'
>'unicode-bidi'
>
>Question:
>1) How does 'altGlyph'....which is not in the definition of "text content
>element" fit in to the "applies to" column of the properties index....
>
>2) should 'altGlyph' be included in the "applies to" column of the
>properties...'direction' and 'unicode-bidi'

Yes it should. The description of 'altGlyph' says:

-------------
If the references to alternate glyphs do not result in successful
identification of alternate glyphs to use, then the character(s) that are
inside of the 'altGlyph' element are rendered as if the 'altGlyph' element
were a 'tspan' element instead.
-------------

which means that all properties that might apply to a 'tspan' must also
apply to an 'altGlyph'.

Curiously, the Proposed Recommendation has 'unicode-bidi' correctly
specified, but is missing 'altGlyph' from the 'direction' property. The
Recommendation will include a correction to this error.

>I hope someone can help.....I trying to find out if I should send in a
>report to the SVG working group svg-comments@w3.org

Jon Ferraiolo
SVG 1.0 Editor
jferraio@adobe.com