Re: Does a font family with a period in it need apos around it?

Chris,

A comment of my own about all this: I've been doing a lot of experiments with Java on my
system to see which font families it labels each of various java.awt.Font objects I create
with different arguments to the constructor. I think I understand why it is that Batik is
creating a font family (sansserif.italic) that seems odd. I need to describe a little bit of Java
to you and I think it is relevant to understand because it points out something that perhaps
some standards document ought to state as being bad thing to do.

In Java if I instantiate a java.awt.Font with the name "sansserif" and the style argument as
Font.ITALIC then Java creates an object whose fontFamily is sansserif.italic and whose
style is PLAIN. I can also instantiate a java.awt.Font with argument of "sansserif.italic" and
Font.PLAIN and it will create a Font that again has fontFamily of sansserif.italic and againg
has a plain style.

But here's the twist: I can not instantiate a java.awt.Font with font argument as
"sansserif.italic" and style of Font.ITALIC. If I do that Java says basically "I don't know what
this is" and hence it defaults to creating an Arial font object (fontFamily, fontName, and
PSName are all Arial). In Java (or in some TTF file? I don't know) there is a font family
"sansserif.italic" that has plain style and that does NOT have an italics style. Visually
"sansserif.italic" plain style is really italic in appearance.

This seems to be an abuse. This is the sort of thing that, IMO, standards writers would tell
people not to do it if only occurred to the standards writers that people might do such a
thing in the first place. It causes unexpected behaviors. It is a reason why different tools are
going to generate different output from the same document. I also think it explains why
Batik, which is written in Java after all, is generating a font-face tag with font-family of
sansserif.italic.

I'd like to convince the Batik developers not to emit font-family names that end in .italic,
.bold, or .bolditalic. Better to move that part of it over to the font-style where it belongs. But
my guess is they are going to claim they are not doing anything that violates a standard.

Enough of my own rant.

I thought you might like to see responses I received elsewhere. First of all, I think the  David
Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk> response is from a message I posted on Yahoo
SVG Developers list (not sure since it came in private e-mail):

	It's an error in Batik, and it is a violation of CSS2 rather
	than specifically SVG.

	See appendix D of the CSS2 specification:

	amongst other things, attribute values may be strings or
	idents.  Strings are between matchedd 's or "s and may not
	contain an unescaped instance of the corresponding quote.

	idents are a name start character followed by:
[a-z0-9-]|{nonascii}|{escape}

	[DJW:]  which doesn't permit unescaped .s.

	Note that sans-serif, with a hyphen, is a reserved name
	and this attribute is a family name, so should not normally
	include modifiers like italic or bold (CSS2 14.4.6).

Then from the Batik list Stephane Hillion <shillion@ilog.fr> responded arguing that it is not a
Batik bug. I think Stephane may be a Batik developer:

On Thursday 16 August 2001 16:32, Randall Parker wrote:
> Stephane,
>
> Are you a Batik committer? Is any Batik committer reading this message?
>
> I posted elsewhere and got this response that argues it is a bug in Batik.
> In fact, it is two separate bugs since it is an illegal family name as
> well. This response came from David Woolley <david@djwhome.demon.co.uk>
>
> 	It's an error in Batik, and it is a violation of CSS2 rather
> 	than specifically SVG.
>
> 	See appendix D of the CSS2 specification:
>
> 	amongst other things, attribute values may be strings or
> 	idents.  Strings are between matchedd 's or "s and may not
> 	contain an unescaped instance of the corresponding quote.

This is not what the grammar describe. A property value can be a list of what
you want separated by any operator including white-spaces. So for example:

  font-family: Times New Roman, serif;

is a well-formed property declaration.

And according to the CSS2 spec, the unquoted name Times New Roman is valid:

<family-name>
The name of a font family of choice. In the previous example, "Baskerville",
"Heisi Mincho W3", and "Symbol" are font families. Font family names
containing whitespace should be quoted. If quoting is omitted, any whitespace
characters before and after the font name are ignored and any sequence of
whitespace characters inside the font name is converted to a single space.

> 	idents are a name start character followed by:
> [a-z0-9-]|{nonascii}|{escape}
>
> 	[DJW:]  which doesn't permit unescaped .s.
>
> 	Note that sans-serif, with a hyphen, is a reserved name
> 	and this attribute is a family name, so should not normally
> 	include modifiers like italic or bold (CSS2 14.4.6).

It is right, but sansserif.italic is a valid family name, equivalent to
"sansserif.italic" since there is no rule to says that a system font name
can't contain a dot or one of the CSS reserved keywords.
And it is not an error to refer to an unavailable font.